Thursday, August 17, 2023

My MAO Journey - A Blog Series By Hannah Roque (Part 4 - Where I am Today, and Looking Forward)

This is the final post in a four-part guest blog series by Hannah Roque discussing her MAO journey. You can find part one here I  am honored to be able to present them, and hope you'll read and share them all. -S36F

Keeping my 
why in mind, I was excited to once again take the stage in 2023. Though I spent a lot of time practicing my talent, doing mock interviews, and running a titleholder Instagram for the first time, the biggest change I made was in my mindset. Instead of focusing on winning or the outcomes, my primary focus was on the impact that I could make with my local title. In the last year, I’ve really internalized that the end goal is not to win the state title - the goal is to make a difference in your community. The title of Miss Vermont will allow me to have a wider reach, make a broader impact for stroke survivors through my Community Service Initiative, and continue to act as an example for plus size women who are interested in competing in the organization - but I know that I can start to do all of those things with my local title. With this mindset, as Miss Route 7, I felt like I gave my best performance onstage and in the interview room. Though I was still dealing with my own anxieties and self imposed pressure, I felt the same joy and excitement that I felt back in 2019. 

I would be remiss to talk about my experience in 2023 withouttalking about the class of women that I competed with. In my three years competing, and my 24 years growing up around the organization, I have never encountered a group of women that are as kind, smart, and incredible as the Miss Vermont 2023 class. It was probably the most competitive class that we’ve seen in Vermont in a very long time, but it was the most loving and supportive environment that I have ever been in. Being surrounded by a group of women that are all smart, successful, and supportive is so inspiring, and the sisterhood that was formed only reaffirmed some of the initial reasons why I started competing in 2019; to make friends and to have fun. 

I will treasure every part of my competition experience in 2023, from the amazing sisterhood to my performance onstage. In the last year I grew into a better person and delegate because of Miss Vermont and the Miss American Opportunity. As I am getting ready for the 2024 season to start, I am so excited to take all that I’ve learned and continue to grow. When I first started this journey, I was 20 years old and still trying to settle into myself. Now, I am a 24 year old college graduate and am much more confident in myself and my abilities. Looking forward to the future, knowing that I can keep competing until I am 28, I am so excited to see how I grow and flourish both in life and as I pursue my dream of being Miss Vermont. Regardless of other people’s thoughts, perceptions, and expectations, I know in my heart that I will be a fantastic Miss Vermont someday. I am forever grateful that I had the courage to take a step back, because it was instrumental in changing my mindset and my competition goals. 

If I were to give delegates any advice, it would be to never lose
sight of why you started competing. Every delegate has a why. Whether it’s to build confidence, make an impact in your community, make friends, or something else, every delegate has a reason why they’re competing. It can be really easy to lose sight of that why, when you’re caught up in expectations and pressures, both from yourself and other people - but I urge you to always keep your why (and having fun) at the forefront of your mind each time you return to the competition. If you lose those things, there is no shame in taking a break. Listen to yourself and trust that the decisions you make are right; if you lose sight of the joy and why you’re competing, take a step back and find those again. I promise that you will not regret that choice. 

If you want to follow along my journey to the 2024 stage, you can follow me at @missroute7vt on Instagram or @han.roque on TikTok - I can’t wait to share my growth and my journey with you all. A very special thank you to Section 36 for letting me take this opportunity to reflect on my entire competition experience; I am so proud of the work that I have done over the last 4 years and I’m so excited to continue to pursue my dream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons I've Learned by Hannah Roque

Hello Section 36!! My name is Hannah Roque, and I currently hold the title of Miss Addison County in Vermont - I’m so excited to be back wit...