Monday, June 14, 2021

The Gastonia Honey Hunters Opening Night - a Guest Blog by Julia DeSerio

This guest blog from Julia DeSerio chronicles her appearance as Miss Gastonia at the inaugural opening day for the independent baseball team the Gastonia Honey Hunters. I hope you enjoy it.

I can’t even begin to describe the sense of energy, excitement and community our very first Gastonia Honey Hunters game brought to the City of Gastonia. The culmination of nearly a decade's worth of diligent and intentional work from our community leaders finally came to fruition as we gathered and celebrated the opening game for our brand new professional baseball team.

Affiliated with the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball, The Gastonia Honey Hunters are owned by Brandon Bellamy, the only Black majority owner in baseball. The name pays homage to a famous figure in Gaston County’s past: Ransom Hunter. Mr. Hunter is believed to be the county’s first freed slave and the first to own property there. “Honey Hunters was chosen to reflect the shared traits between the City of Gastonia and those of the world’s most fearless animal: fearless, determined, and resilient,” Bellamy said in a statement.

The FUSE Stadium, now named Caromont Health Park,
proved to be a wonderful place to make memories and mingle, all while enjoying America's greatest pastime. This was the most “normal” event I’ve attended in my year and a half of serving as Miss Gastonia, and it felt SO GOOD to interact with community members safely with my COVID vaccine. I ran into Andrea Jasper, who serves as the executive director of the Miss Taste of Charlotte Organization. It was so good to see her and briefly catch up, sharing our excitement for the upcoming Miss North Carolina Competition.
Mayor Walker Reid, Councilwoman Jennifer Stepp, and Councilman Robert Kellogg were among several community leaders in attendance that I also got to celebrate with. Even my family got to join in on the fun and drove from South Carolina to attend the event. This was their first time tagging along with me as Miss Gastonia, and it was a blast to show them a small part of my job and the wonderful people I get to represent.

These moments were made all the more special by the phenomenal Honey Hunters staff, many of whom are Gastonia community members.
This is Reginald, who is now a retiredGaston County Schools teacher and active musician, working at the park for fun this season. 


Stacey Malker is a force within the Gastonia community, and I am so thankful to know her and have seen her adorned in Honey Hunters gear and serving during the game. We are so thankful for your service and appreciate your hospitable spirits.

Now for the most star-studded moment of the evening…Ervin "Magic" Johnson of the LA Lakers flew in to throw the opening pitch for the game! I was bound and determined to say hello, and I got even better…I GOT A PICTURE! It was at this moment I understood a whole new level of “the power of the crown…” What a priceless memory and privilege! 

I am often asked what my favorite thing about Gastonia is, and I always answer with pride and confidence:

“C O M M U N I T Y.”

These photos represent just a handful of the kind, enthusiastic, friendly and accepting community members I got to interact with on opening day, and I am so grateful for how lovingly they have welcomed me as their representative. Serving this city and its people during such a tumultuous, triumphant and historic year has truly been the greatest honor of my lifetime, and the people of Gastonia never cease to amaze me.

Gastonia: I carry your huge heart with me every single day, and I cannot wait to wear our city’s name across my sash at the 83rd Miss North Carolina Competition!

I want to thank Julia for sharing this story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Regenerative Tourism by Shyla Victor

Hawaiʻi, viewed by tourists as merely a beautiful tropical vacation destination. Being born and raised in Hawaiʻi and working in the hospita...