Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Miss America 2023 Recap - The Stories Behind the Gowns

You may remember the previous recap post showing off the incredible entrances some S36 Forevers made to the Miss America 2023 competition. All of the gowns were stunning on the contestants.

I can't be the only one who sees that procession and thinks, "All of those dresses are so beautiful and yet so different. I wonder how each woman selects the most important dress of her life.

Luckily, a few S36 Forevers did share the story behind their gowns on their social media, which is amazing. I thought it would be fun to share the stories here.

Once again, all the pictures were taken by Kelsey of K. Garcia Productions. She does amazing work, and was recently nominated as a Pageant Planet top headshot photographer AND top event photographer.

Let's see those stories.



From the Miss Connecticut Instagram: For as long as I can remember Latinas in media have always been portrayed as too loud, crazy, and feisty (while I do not confirm nor deny some of these traits 😅) I never saw us portrayed as eloquent, intelligent, or peaceful. Miss America allowed me to be what I didn't see, being that representation and walking the red carpet with the gown that exemplified the serenity, strength, and resilience of our island's heritage. 




From the Miss Utah InstagramUtah is know as the beehive state. When I picked out this dress, it reminded me of honeycomb. This dress Is dedicated to my hive of bees who have gotten me here!


From the Miss Massachusetts Instagram: I designed her myself based on former Miss America gowns that I’ve loved since I was a child. Thank you to Anita at Infusion Boutique and the team at JOVANI for making my sketch come to life!


From the Miss South Dakota Instagram: A dress that had a classic feel to it but also some “spice”😜 It was an incredible feeling to walk on the Miss America stage in this gown! 


From the Miss Alabama Instagram: I worked with The Clothes Tree and JOVANI to design this custom gown. I knew I wanted to wear black velvet, and I got the inspiration for the sheer sides with nude/crystal beading from a photo of a wedding dress I found in 2019. Then Julie from JOVANI worked her magic to come up with this beauty! We also totally changed the neckline after the dress came in.

---

I hope you enjoyed these stories, and the incredible pictures. Hopefully there will be more stories to share in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons I've Learned by Hannah Roque

Hello Section 36!! My name is Hannah Roque, and I currently hold the title of Miss Addison County in Vermont - I’m so excited to be back wit...