Monday, January 23, 2023

Does Anyone Collect Miss America?

As most of you know, I'm a sports fan, especially baseball. I'm also a collector with a small collection of Red Sox (and sports in generable) collectables.

I'm certainly not alone in that. There are many Red Sox fans out there, and many many people collect sports items. Whether that's trading cards, or bobbleheads, or autographs.

I'm also not immune to collecting pop culture. If you look, you'll see that I may have a Star Wars item or two sitting on my desk. 

And, again, not only am I not alone in this endeavor. I'm also far from the most dedicated. There are entire conventions dedicated to people who collect pop culture items, whether it's a comic book, or movie, or tv show. A quick google or instagram search will bring up endless people showing off their collections from Harry Potter Funko figures to autographed pictures of the Friends cast.

And with all these collections, some of the best collectables are the ones used by the entity. Whether it's a jersey worn in a Red Sox game, or a prop shown on screen in the Mandalorian. The on field or on screen or on stage stuff is incredibly collectable. Has been for quite a while. People have rooms dedicated to the outfits worn by the cast of the Chronicles of Narnia, or another favorite film.

Which leads me to the question in the title. Do people do this for Miss America?

I ask because I've seen lots of MAO competitors selling off some of their wardrobe. Which, of course, makes sense. It's not cheap, and doesn't really have a ton of uses after retirement. So, why not try to recoup some costs, and allow other competitors to get a deal? But, sometimes the collector in me is aghast. "Wait...that's a stage worn state competition gown!" or, even something worn at Miss America. Even on stage. Don't people want those? Aren't there collectors with rooms full of mannequins wearing past gowns? Wouldn't they be willing to pay a premium for those? I would be shocked if they didn't exist.

But, I'd also be shocked if they hadn't already reached out to the competitors. 

A google search didn't exactly bring up a ton of results either. No articles of people showing off their "pageant rooms" or what not. Not even collections of Miss America merchandise, newspapers, etc. A few people seem to collect autograph cards, but even those didn't have posts dedicated to them that I could see. I mean there are instagram accounts dedicated to showing off autographed playing cards, but I couldn't find one showing off Miss America autograph cards?

For an iconic American institution that's been running for 100 years? I don't understand it.

Where are the collectors? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons I've Learned by Hannah Roque

Hello Section 36!! My name is Hannah Roque, and I currently hold the title of Miss Addison County in Vermont - I’m so excited to be back wit...