Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Mweni Ekpo Visits Section 36 Forevers!

Mweni Ekpo
 is the founder of Mock With Me, a pageant interview practice service. I was thrilled that she wanted to visit with us and talk about her business and how is can benefit others in the pageant world. I'm sure you'll love to hear what she has to say.

So, let’s see what happens when Mweni Ekpo visits Section 36 Forevers!

What can you tell me about your program, “Mock With Me”?

“Mock with Me” is a service that provides aspiring queens with interview practice opportunities and feedback from a seasoned pageant judge. I myself spent 5 years competing in Miss America local competitions when I was a college student.  Eventually I ended up relocating from my home state of Mississippi to Indiana to attend law school. During the summer after my first year of law school, I actually placed in the Top 5 at the Miss Indiana competition. Since then, I’ve spent the last 25 years judging competitions at both the local and state level.


What made you decide to start that venture?

My sister was interested in starting a new career as a copywriter and wanted to use me as a “guinea pig” first client. She needed something to market on my behalf. And after some thought about what skills or services I could offer the world, “Mock with Me” was born. My sister built me a scrumptious-looking website and wrote all the copy herself. I officially launched in October 2022. And I love how the business name “Mock with Me” literally describes the service that I offer (*You* come mock with me.) and because my initials are ME, it also means – Yes – *You* go “mock” with M.E. – as in Mweni Ekpo. That’s why you’ll see the “ME” from my logo written in all capital letters.


What has been the most rewarding part of the sessions?

I love meeting with aspiring queens and watching them have “Aha” moments based on the feedback I provide. It is very rewarding to help someone become more comfortable with their interview skills or to confirm that they are indeed interview ready and prepared to command the interview room come competition time. I provide a safe space for clients to work out any kinks before they stand before the judges. I’m like a personal trainer for interview – helping clients get in optimal condition in order to ace their interview. Clients have the option to purchase recordings of their mock interviews, which I highly encourage.  Those recordings can then be used by the client and/or their director or prep team to determine how best to move forward.  We’ve all heard the statement “Pageants are won in the interview room.” Indeed they are. If you can get the judges to fall in love with you there, they’ll be rooting for you for the remainder of the competition.


What short or long-term goals do you have for Mock With Me?

The next few weeks will be super busy as many of my clients are preparing for state, national and international competitions that will happen this summer. So my short term goal is to provide them the support they need, so that they can be confident going into their next level of competition. As for my long-term goals, I would love to have clients in all 50 states, and I would also like to expand my international presence. I’ve already worked with clients from Canada, and I look forward to helping queens from other places around the world.


What has surprised you the most about running Mock With Me?

I am surprised at the number of aspiring queens who fail to realize the importance of honing their interview skills through practice. There is no way to improve at any skill unless you actually *do* it, and so many aspiring queens just assume they’ll magically be “fine” once they enter the interview room even though they may not have worked hard enough to ensure their success in that regard.


What has been the most challenging aspect about running Mock With Me?

As a small operation, the most challenging aspect about running “Mock with Me” has been getting the word out about my services. I know that there are so many titleholders and aspiring titleholders who could benefit from what I have to offer, and it can be frustrating knowing that many of them may never know I exist…..

---

I definitely know about that challenge.

As always, I want to give many thanks to Mweni for doing this interview, and for sending along the picture to be used. 

I'm sure that after reading this, you may want to find out even more about Mweni and everything she has going on. I would definitely suggest checking out her website, and following her on Instagram at her Mock With Me account. 

And, if you talk to her don’t forget to tell her you saw her on Section 36 Forevers!

Thanks again Mweni!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons I've Learned by Hannah Roque

Hello Section 36!! My name is Hannah Roque, and I currently hold the title of Miss Addison County in Vermont - I’m so excited to be back wit...