Wednesday, October 18, 2023

From Lab Coats to Crowns….. Bio student turned beauty queen? - A Blog from Anushree Patel

As a biology student at the University of Texas, I was accustomed to the world of microscopes and scientific inquiry. The allure of the pageant world seemed worlds apart from my daily life. After all, how could I – spending countless hours in research labs, hospitals, and STEM classes – be crowned? 

Initially, I struggled with the seeming incompatibility of these two worlds. One involves poise, glamor, the art of presentation, while the other is grounded in scientific inquiry, complex research, and intellectual challenge. But I realized the differences between these worlds didn’t have to be mutually exclusive. 

One of the most rewarding aspects of Miss America is the opportunity to platform for change. My academic background allowed me to champion causes close to my heart, such as volunteerism, healthcare awareness, and the promotion of STEM education. Conducting a news interview with NBC and supporting funruns for medical research further allowed me to encourage living healthy lifestyles – tying into Miss America’s new fitness initiative. 

The title of Miss East Texas is one that has transformed my life! From schools to libraries to fashion shows and everything in between, I’ve had the privilege of connecting with communities all across Texas. My hope is that people from all walks of life are empowered to volunteer through their own skills and passions.

The journey from a biology student to a pageant queen has been an extraordinary ride filled with valuable life lessons, personal growth, and the opportunity to make a positive impact. It taught me that passion, determination, and a unique perspective can transform what seems unconventional into an inspiring journey. If you've ever had a dream that seems to clash with your current path, remember that it's possible to blend the two into a beautiful, meaningful story. The unexpected intersections between science and glamor can create something truly special, reminding us that we are not defined by a single role, but by the sum of our passions and experiences.

You really can achieve anything you put your mind to – even if it seems like a 360 degree opposite. If that means memorizing chemistry compounds backstage before performing, so be it! 

Anushree Patel,
Miss East Texas 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons I've Learned by Hannah Roque

Hello Section 36!! My name is Hannah Roque, and I currently hold the title of Miss Addison County in Vermont - I’m so excited to be back wit...