Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Catching Up With Stephanie Magee!

Photo: Believe Photography 
Stephanie Magee was kind enough to visit with Section 36 in 2020 while she held the title of Miss Meadowlark. Fast forward almost two years, and Stephanie is back with a new title, Miss Marion-Polk County, and ready to take the Miss Oregon stage once again. Stephanie was nice enough to answer some more questions for us so we can see what she's been up to. I hope you enjoy everything she has to say.

So let's see what happens when Stephanie Magee revisits Section 36!

Why did you decide to compete for the Miss Marion-Polk County crown?

I decided to try again for the Miss Marion-Polk Title after 2021. I went through two life-threatening accidents and began to suffer from some pretty severe depression. However, late last year I decided I needed to do more with my life than just give up. I needed to give back to the state that gave me so much… that’s why I decided to give myself one more chance. 


What is your favorite memory from your last Miss Oregon competition?

The parade! I wore a Rosie the Riveter costume in order to pay homage to the first local titleholder I related to. She was Miss Washington County 2015, had tattoos & short hair, and wore the same costume her year during the parade. After seeing her crowned, I felt that one day I could be at Miss Oregon too. Two years later, I was crowned Miss Willamette Valley.


Is there anything you think you’ll do differently at this Miss Oregon?

This year I can confidently say I am the best version of myself that I’ve ever been. I’m happy, content, and excited about what I am presenting this year. I finally feel I’m being 100% myself and I find peace in that.


How are you expanding your SII, “Art at the Heart” with your new title?

What's great, is I have not needed a title for my work, however the title does open an extra door now and then. I have expanded to the national level in many aspects. I am in the process of completing my first musical instrument donation, I have 22 violins to donate to a local organization. And I’ve begun working more in depth with local cultural advocacy groups all over the state to expand arts access and funding to those who need it most. Next year is a big year for arts advocacy so we are preparing heavily to make major legislative change.


You graduated from Western Oregon University. What did you enjoy most about your time there?

I met lifelong friends at Western, but what I enjoyed most was completing my thesis: "The Dream of a Million Girls: Empowerment, Feminism, and America’s Oldest Pageant". It’s all about my time in the MAO in relation to modern feminist theory. I knew this thesis needed to be written because academic literature provides little to no representation for those who actually compete in the program. I am proud to have added to the conversation surrounding hyper-femininity, societal understanding, and movement towards a post-patriarchal society


---


That does sound like an important topic to share!


As always, I want to thank Stephanie for revisiting with us, and for sending along the headshot to go with the interview.


I also want to wish Stephanie the best of luck at the Miss Oregon competition in a couple weeks. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 Forever wear that crown! 


As you attempt to keep up with everything Stephanie has going on, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track! 


You should also be sure to check out the website and Instagram account for her social impact, Art at the Heart. 


Thanks again Stephanie, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons I've Learned by Hannah Roque

Hello Section 36!! My name is Hannah Roque, and I currently hold the title of Miss Addison County in Vermont - I’m so excited to be back wit...