Monday, March 28, 2022

Ferell Blanc Visits Section 36 Forevers!

Ferell Blanc is a pageant coach and a talented photographer whose work you've probably seen on Section 36 many times. It seemed about time to have her visit so we could all learn a little bit more about here. I'm sure you'll love to hear what she has to say.

So, let’s see what happens when Ferell Blanc visits Section 36!

You currently work as a pageant coach. What do you enjoy about that field?

For me, pageants are not about winning a crown and sash. When I first competed in 2005, it was for an opportunity to create change in local schools with bullying. My heart is still in that same mindset with pageants - what are you passionate about, and how will you impact your community? I love seeing my clients get involved in the community with their passions. Even more so, I love watching them grow as an individual. One of the most heartfelt moments was when a parent shared that they gave me their little girl, and I gave them back a young woman. Seeing their confidence shift and communication skills grow while knowing that they are learning life skills that will take them far in the future is the best!


As a former pageant titleholder and director, does that dual experience help you as a coach?

A lot of coaches are former titleholders and even judges. I've been fortunate to do both and even had formal MAO judge training back in the 1.0 days. I absolutely loved my time as a director and wished that it was something I could still do but the workload was too much to balance with a full-time job while planning to start a family. I had incredible titleholders that became family. Some attended my wedding, some still call me mom to this day. With the good comes the bad; I can say that I also had difficult titleholders/parents that created friction in our pageant family. So I understand the different personalities that directors work with, the qualities they are looking for, and personality traits that are red flags. I know how directors communicate to their judges the job description and those stellar titleholder qualities.


You’re also an incredible photographer. What is the most challenging part about being behind the camera?

Thank you so much! I love being behind the camera and making clients feel confident and comfortable with themselves. Making sure clients understand the importance of pageant-style professional hair and makeup can be challenging. A headshot is an investment with your pageant and brand, the first impression to the judges (along with your paperwork), and the images are ways to brand yourself on social media. Not having professional pageant and camera-ready makeup makes for extra work for me in Photoshop. I keep my prices affordable so that clients can spend extra in that department and provide them with a list of professionals to consider.


You’ve been able to combine your two careers by photographing titleholders, including several Section 36 Forevers. What do you enjoy most about titleholder photoshoots?

A titleholder photoshoot is a celebration! For me, it's like, "Yes girl! Look at you with your crown and sash! Let's celebrate you and get you some fantastic images to remember your year."


Would you say that you have a specific photography style?

My style is vibrant colors with crisp details and being sure to not remove all of the skin texture. I strive to make sure my clients look like themselves because they should match the photo that the judges see of them before they walk into the interview room. I have the insight of judges questioning hair color or length being different and skin tone being washed out in headshots. So I use that insight to make sure my clients look like themselves.


Do you have any specific career goals?

Something that people may not know is that I worked for RMHC of Las Vegas (another background I have that helps me as a pageant coach). While there, it felt like I worked for the "Disneyland of nonprofits" as I called it. I  enjoyed having a lot to do, learning new things, interviewing on the radio stations, working events, and meeting new people. I left RMHC to be a stay-at-home mom because child care is pricey. I didn't know if stay-at-home mom life was meant for me, but it definitely was. I'm enjoying being a mom to my spicy nugget (he is almost 2) and getting to do my photography and coaching in my free time. It would be an absolute dream to travel doing pageant shoots. Maybe when my little guy is bigger I will be able to make that goal a reality. 


---

That would be great!

As always, I want to give huge thanks to Ferell for doing this interview, and for sending along so many great pictures to be used. 

I'm sure that after reading this, you may want to find out even more about Ferell and everything she has going on. I would definitely suggest checking out her website, and following her on Instagram at her photography and coaching accounts. 

And, if you talk to her don’t forget to tell her you saw her on Section 36 Forevers!

Thanks again Ferell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons I've Learned by Hannah Roque

Hello Section 36!! My name is Hannah Roque, and I currently hold the title of Miss Addison County in Vermont - I’m so excited to be back wit...