Friday, June 23, 2023

Mental Health And Me - A Guest Blog from Wendy Araujo

Tears. Tears were rolling down my eyes when I tried explaining to my Mexican immigrant parents what was going on with me, but couldn’t quite find words to properly explain it. Due to their lack of knowledge and compassion for mental health, they couldn’t properly help me through what I was struggling with, because it wasn’t visible pain. Unfortunately, my parents weren’t the only people in the world who had no idea how to properly help those affected by mental illnesses. Americans who struggle with mental health problems often find themselves being stigmatized. In result, it causes them to avoid seeking help and can ultimately hinder their recovery. In today’s society, mental health has been shunned by many people, and is practically avoided by the media. Although it is not a physical illness, it is still an undetectable illness that needs to be thoroughly addressed on a national level. Mental illnesses are one of the most common health conditions in America, with more than 52.9 million Americans being diagnosed with a mental illness at some point in their lifetime. 


I became part of that statistic at the mere age of 7.


Imagine yourself at the ages of 7, 13, 19 and 22. By those ages, I have endured traumatic sexual assault/harrassment, bullying from elementary through high school, a failed suicide, the unexpected loss of my father, and lived through a deadly pandemic. All of these significant events made me realize the love and burning passion I had for becoming an advocate for mental health and wellness. Although I faced many traumatizing and agonizing circumstances growing up, as well as being diagnosed with anxiety and depression, I was still able to take control of my life and seek recovery. If I can do it, so can anyone else!


Mental illnesses aren't a choice, but recovery is.


My mission is simple: I want to be a leader that the community can see their own reflection in, as well as initiate change within the community and for legislators to create laws that support those and their loved ones who are affected by mental illnesses, so that these illnesses can be prevented before it even begins. My love and passion for the cause was so imminent that I was given the distinct honor of being named an ambassador for the Texas Chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness as of November 2022. By partnering with NAMI Texas, I believe that together we can begin the work by going straight to the source: the people. By creating programs that educate others about the symptoms and resources, it will create momentum on raising awareness as to why the public should do their part to help break the silence and challenge the stigma. I am honored to share my story with anyone I meet, and that I hope that this is not just a moment, but a movement that will greatly impact America in realizing why mental health and mental illnesses should be taken seriously, and help those who are affected by it.


Wendy Araujo

Miss San Antonio ‘23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons I've Learned by Hannah Roque

Hello Section 36!! My name is Hannah Roque, and I currently hold the title of Miss Addison County in Vermont - I’m so excited to be back wit...